Testimony

Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Gates of Paradise - a promise to a friend

A Promise to a Friend

Please don’t be sad, my friend, but I must go.

The days allotted me by God have run,

And he has called me home to give account

Of my poor life.

And sadly I leave this life, yet gladly go

To my reward.

But I have erred, and sinned, displeased the Lord

Through mortal wrongs

And risked a sterner judgment than I’d hoped

But this I trust shall be a saving grace:

That I have loved my fellow-man,

And friendship is another word for love.

And you I number dearest friend of all –

How we have loved each other through the years

Talked away hours, chatted through the night

Put right the wrongs of earth and man

Explored our souls,

And tried to understand the mind of Him

Who rules us.

So now I go

But this I promise you, my dearest friend:

That I shall wait for you:

Before I go in to that wondrous place

I’ll find outside the walls a shady tree

And sparkling pools where for a while I’ll bide.

The waiting shall be little sacrifice

For I must be the one who welcomes you

When, in good time you come to join me there.

I’ll wipe your brow and ease your thirst

Bathe you in crystal waters

Comfort you - my friend.

And then – the final act ordained by fate

For we must gaze upon the face of Him who made us

And I would stand beside you when we do

So shall we rise with gladness in our hearts,

And side-by-side we’ll go the final mile

And hand-in-hand as friends we’ll walk

Together

Through the Gates of Paradise

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Beautiful, nostalgic but realistic your poem, John! Wow it's so long I haven't visited your blog you wrote so many interesting things and I envy you for your garden, it is the Paradise itself! Lucky you!

    Take care John and so long!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Dec 08, 05:05:00 pm NZDT  

  • Asalam Alikom
    This is my first comment here and (in sha allah) will not the last one .. becuase no one can leave without commenting on your wonderful poem ..............................
    Friendship is important thing in our life and the person who finds a friend in this world i s a lucky one .so if u find a friend make every effort not to lose him becuase it may be the only true chance to have such a sincere fellow .
    kiwii i was very intersted in reading your poem . your hero in this poem promises his friend that he will wait him in order to enter the paradise with each other but why your hero doesn't promise his friend that he will not be sad in this world after losing him? , or tells him how to continue his days in this life without him ?. He couldn't promise him with that becuase the hardest thing in this world to lose a friend , lose the other hand which support u in your life . finally your words was execllent in expressing this relationship , I hope u can fulfill all your wishes during the new year kiwii and continue in writing becuase your r very talented in this and thanks for your words which take us far from our hard world to another one which we will not know without your pen .
    accept my greetnig.
    your sister(if u don't mind ) programmer_girl....PG

    By Blogger programmer_girl, at Mon Jan 15, 01:14:00 am NZDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Content (except where noted) Copyright © John R Nickolls 2006