Testimony

Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Ocarina

A couple of posts ago, in *Shelley and the Steps of Doom*, I mentioned an ocarina.

The ocarina in question occupied a small part of the story, and in fact I could have told the tale without it, and nobody would have been any the wiser.

But having mentioned it, I was then dismissive of it, and at the end of the tale I declared that I had no idea where the ocarina was now.

In the succeeding days, amazingly, the ocarina has returned.

It is actually prettier, more attractive now, than I remember it. The picture shows attractive colouration and pattern, and that's not simply for the benefit of tourists. It's a traditional 6-hole instrument, with two more thumb holes on the back. There's a loop moulded into the clay on the back so it can be strung around the neck, so it can be easily carried.

It really IS an ocarina too - I was afraid that I was taking the coward's way out, by using the Italian name for a similar instrument, and not finding the Peruvian name. It pleases me that I got it right, even if by accident. (Information here on ocarinas)

Now I look closer I see there's a fine crack on the front and back, which means sometime soon I may have to introduce superglue to keep it from falling apart.

I was a little unkind to the thing at the start, but I'm warming to it. It's entirely possible that I may finally clean it up and consider learning to play it.

Anything might happen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Content (except where noted) Copyright © John R Nickolls 2006